Cab Door Numbers and Identifiers



With all the State and Federal Government regulations regarding Commercial Vehicle identification, we decided to create a site where you can easily create and order those custom vinyl lettering decals needed for your truck cab doors.

Briefly, here are the regulations for company name and truck registration number lettering as we understand them, effective as of 3/22/09.

In California, a Commercial vehicle with a GVW of over 10,000 pounds is required to have on the vehicle the company's registered name and the company's California license number. Both your company name and CA number lettering decals need to be clearly visible from 50 ft., which is interpreted to mean a minimum size of 2" lettering in a color which boldly contrasts the background color of the vehicle.

For a tractor, that would mean having BOTH the company's registered name AND the CA number on the cab doors. For a Straight truck (Box truck, bobtail truck) the company name may be on the sides of the box, and only the CA number on the cab doors.

If a vehicle has a USDOT number, and operates in California, there is no requirement to also show CA number lettering. HOWEVER, you must be prepared to show your CA number papers at the truck stops if asked. Therefore, it is easier on your drivers if they already have the CA number on the doors.

Depending on how your truck is used, you may also need MCC (Motor Carrier) numbers and GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) numbers on your cab doors.

CA and USDOT numbers are normally placed at the bottom of the cab door, or just behind the cab door on a sleeper unit. If the owner has several rows of numbers, such as CA, USDOT, MCC, GVW, VIN#, those are often all put in a stack on the area behind the cab door, on the sleeper, or if on a straight truck, on the front lower corner area.

For refrigerated large commercial vehicles, DIESEL POWERED REEFER UNITS must be tested and licensed and carry on BOTH SIDES of the unit, in 2" bold numbers, the CARB (California Air Resources Board) license number assigned to that unit. Other states may have their own Air Resources Board (EPA regulations) requirements for your reefer units.

Federal USDOT regulations have recently changed in that they still require the company's registered name and the USDOT numbers but no longer require the city and state. But you can add those if you like.

Because all of the regulations are continually changing, please go to the official governmental websites (linked on the USDOT numbers and CA numbers pages) to confirm any of the above statements or get answers to any of your questions. We do not accept any legal responsibility for your failure to comply with the requirements of your state or the Federal Government.

Please check with all the online Federal and State agencies to determine what is needed on your vehicle.

To begin the order process and create the custom lettering decals for your name and/or regulation numbers, CLICK HERE

You may also use your own logo for the cab doors. Just upload the logo, tell us what information you need, and the year, make, model and color of your cab, and we will create your custom logo decals to fit. We will create a special order page with your finished design for ordering, so you can verify the layout, contents and fit.


Proud member of the California Trucking Association

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report. 




Online Payments